One way to save money in the ballroom world is to do your own hair and makeup. If you judge me against other women, you would call me a tomboy, so this is one area where I’m close to clueless.
My daily routine consists of brushing my hair, water on my face and mascara (if I’m even up to that). But having it all done professionaly in my area costs around $160. I can do a lot of other things for that much money. So I tried doing my own makeup for MiniMatch and Showcase. (Hair is another beast. I may tackle that in the future, but now, just no.)
My skill level isn’t as god-awful as I made it appear. I have in different times of my life put on a full face of makeup. You know, when I had acne, or was feeling awful about myself, or was going to a wedding. Most of my stuff was now old. I tend to go to Sephora and have a more professional person give recommendations because otherwise I’m lost. Could I get cheaper stuff at my local drugstore? Absolutely. But I’d end up mucking it up and spending twice as much money on stuff. Going to Sephora, I know it works and matches.
Going in I told the makeup dude what I was looking for. Luckily he got his start in makeup doing stage makeup. I am always honest. I want a face that I can adapt to stage or normal life because I don’t buy stuff just for one purpose. I want to photograph well (that means no SPF). I need it to STAY because I don’t sweat delicately and I don’t want all my makeup to land on Teach’s shirt. This is what was recommended:
- Tarte Mermaid Skin Hyaluronic H2O Serum https://www.sephora.com/product/mermaid-skin-tm-hyaluronic-h2o-serum-P430818?icid2=:p430818:product This was for moisturizer that didn’t overdo it.
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer https://www.sephora.com/product/veil-mineral-primer-P210575?icid2=:p210575:product Obviously a primer to keep in all on.
- Cover FX Power Play Foundation https://www.sephora.com/product/power-play-foundation-P429425?skuId=2053858&icid2=:p429425:product Did you know that the Cover Fx people are the same as the MAC people? Yeah, me neither.
- Cover FX Matte Setting Powder https://www.sephora.com/product/matte-setting-powder-P376533?skuId=1452689&icid2=:p376533:product Was all this overkill? I thought so, then I used it all.
- Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix Setting Spray https://www.sephora.com/product/mist-fix-setting-spray-P386660?icid2=:p386660:product It reall does seem like overkill, but it’s not.
I used bronzer and blush to make myself a bit more tan. I had to bribe someone to put false eyelashes on me for MiniMatch. I didn’t bother for Showcase. Although dramatic eye makeup is in for Dancesport, I can’t do that yet. I put some sparkles on and called it a day. I have hooded eyelids that aren’t easy to work with. Red lips make up for many sins. I can do red lips that stay.
Did it work? YES. None of these were legit comps, but I’m pleased with how it came out and am ready to attempt to up my makeup game. I’ve gotta get the eye makeup thing going. Any recommendations for liquid eyeliner are welcome. 😀